The Challenge

Arbtech provide a range of surveys for people who are trying to get planning permission in the UK. A great deal of Arbtech’s business is generated via their website and the services they offer are unfamiliar with most visitors. This means that it was very important to explain the services offered clearly and simply. Arbtech’s main goals were to increase the number of quotes generated from the website and to improve their search engine rankings.

Informing the Design

The first step to improving Arbtech’s website was to carry out some detailed research. I had to learn about this industry myself and I had to find out what users thought when they visited the website. Where they struggling to understand the services? Was there a barrier stopping them from obtaining a quote? Was the website easy to use on the devices they were using? There was a lot to learn before I started designing anything.

I looked through Google Analytics in detail to see how the website was performing and how users were flowing through the website. This research gave me some initial ideas about improvements that could be made, but I wanted to find out more from the website visitors. I set up some surveys and contacted clients to ask them questions about the website. I also went through existing website feedback and set up a widget on the website to collect feedback from users.

I now had plenty of useful information but still wanted to see how users were actually using the website for myself. Whilst feedback from surveys is great, it can also be misleading so I created some user tests with people in the target demographic of Arbtech clients. I set up a tool called Hotjar to do this. Hotjar allowed me to view recordings of people using the website and also provided heat maps, form analysis and other useful tools.

Improving the Design

Once I’d documented my findings it was time to start working on a new design which aimed to solve the issues I’d found so far. I used a wireframing tool called Balsamic to create some simple, low fidelity wireframes that I could talk through with Arbtech.

I used a tool called Figma for the next stage of the design. I’ve been using Figma for about a year and absolutely love it! It’s an incredibly easy to use tool designed specifically for designing modern interfaces. It’s probably cut the time it takes me to design new screens in half and it also has other amazing features such as prototyping.

Prototyping allows you to link your screens together to show how your website or app would work in the real world. Once you’ve set up your prototype you can test it with real users before spending time and money coding up a design that may or may not work. Here’s the prototype I set up to test the new Arbtech design.

An Iterative Approach Leading to Great Results

After seeing encouraging user feedback on the new design I built the new website as a custom WordPress solution that made it very easy to update by anyone at Arbtech. Once the website was launched, I carried out more tests and gathered more data from surveys, Google Analytics, Hotjar recordings and heatmaps.

This is the homepage I created after a couple of revisions following on from the information I collected in the first few weeks after launch.

Results

It’s always worrying launching a new site that needs to improve on the conversion rate of the old one, even when a good user centred process is followed. The process worked brilliantly though, and the results were great!

The iterative approach to producing the website worked very well and led to 75% increase in lead volume which made Arbtech very happy and achieved their main goal of obtaining more leads.

Ongoing conversion rate optimisation has led to a further 38% increase in people requesting a quote and 27% more phone call enquiries.

Search Engine Optimisation

Arbtech needed a boost in organic rankings. Some of their main keywords had been hovering on the second or third page of on Google for years and getting them high on page one would provide a big boost in traffic and conversions.

After some investigation into current issues with the website I made some simple changes to the website which included consolidating various pieces of similar content into a single page of high quality, authoritative content, getting more content from the Arbtech team so the service pages could be more detailed and obtaining some high-quality links from a short outreach campaign.

After a few months, we could already see some of the main keywords performing much better.

Arbtech’s organic traffic has now increased by over 61% and has now become Arbtech’s primary source of website traffic for the first time in their history.

Feedback from Arbtech

I’ve always enjoyed working with Arbtech. It’s been great working with a client who sees how important continuous testing and conversion rate optimisation is when trying to achieve outstanding results. Rob Oates said these kinds words following my work on his website:

I don’t mind telling you, a lot of the success of my business is down to Andy.

Andy doesn’t use off-the-shelf themes; he designs and codes everything from the ground, up. The benefit of this was obvious from the start. Apart from the visual appeal of the new site; we recently ran some A/B tests, and it instantly started to out-convert the old one. What’s more, we have started to climb back up the search results page, thanks to his intelligent site architecture and knowledge of ‘what Google wants’.

It’s this simple: if you own a business – you need to talk to Andy.

Rob Oates, Arbtech Managing Director